SOUTH EASTERN WELSH SPRINGER SPANIEL CLUBCHAMPIONSHIP SHOW
19th October 2019
My thanks to the committee and members for the invitation to judge this championship show.
As always I received a warm welcome and I thoroughly enjoyed my day with lovely dogs and owners.
The atmosphere was just great with much applause for the winners.
A special thank you to my senior steward Pam Blay and her helpers, they made my job easy with their professionalism.
Minor Puppy Dog -2
1. Harrison’s GLENBROWS REVOLUTION Very smart youngster with excellent head shape and clear sparkling eyes. Correct clean dentition. Built on flowing lines, his neck flowed into well laid shoulders and correct topline. Well of for bone and muscle, his rear assembly enabled him to move with drive and co-ordinated movement. Presented in beautiful coat and condition. BEST PUPPY DOG.
2. Wetsteyn’s DEWI OUR LOYAL WELSH (AW01715NLD). Another youngster who has pleasing head and expression. Correct dentition. Not quite the depth of muzzle of 1. Good reach of neck leading to correct lay of shoulder. Well ribbed up. Would have liked a tad more drive on the move. Excellent presentation. 3. Bowd’s LENAMORE TIGER ROLL.
1. Harrison’s GLENBROWS REVOLUTION. 2. Graham’s NYLIRAM LETS TWIST AGAIN. Built on flowing lines and head piece. Alert soft expression. Clean dentition and correct shoulders. Well off for bone and muscle. Feet could be tighter. On the move he showed drive and purpose but to be picky, I felt the overall balance of winner was more to my liking. 3. Buckwell’s KILLENA IN THE AIR TONIGHT.
Junior Dog – 3
1. Barkley’s CHANANGEL MR WHODAT AT CHERRYHEATH. Great outline and looked so good entering the ring. I was pleased with his overall balance. Correct head and ear set, kind eye, strong neck leading to well laid shoulders. Plenty of bone and muscle tone. Well developed rear assembly enabling him to drive round the ring in style. Excellent presentation. 2. Buckwell’s KILLENA IN THE AIR TONIGHT. A smart lad with a refined head and correct ear set. Built on finer lines than winner. Superb neck and shoulders and pleasing top line held on the move. Well boned and tight feet. Lovely presentation with gleaming coat and condition. A happy laid back lad. 3. Wright’s TAIHANG HAWTHORN.
Yearling Dog- 2
1. Wren’s LLON LEWYS AT GWYMARREN. Sometimes I see a dog enter the ring and I know he is going to be something very special, this dog IS special. He fills the eye with his make and shape. I was delighted to award him the RCC. He is still young but in my humble opinion he has a great future. He is made along classic lines with handsome head and well placed ears. Clear bright intelligent expression and correct dentition. Well laid shoulders leading to superb body with plenty of substance and good bone. Powerful rear assembly enabling him to drive well covering the ring with ease and style. Presented in immaculate coat and condition. A lovely partnership with dog and handler. RCC. 2. Wright’s TAIHANG HAWTHORN. A very raw dog but still very pleasing in head and alert expression. Front needs to firm up but he has a pleasing body shape. His tail carriage let him down as he carries it like a flag. Movement is strong and driving and excellent bone and muscle tone.
Maiden Dog – 5
1. Harrison’s GLENBROWS REVOLUTION. 2. Graham’s NYLIRAM LETS TWIST AGAIN. 3. Buckwell’s KILLENA ENTERPRISE.
Novice Dog – 4
1. Harrison’s GLENBROWS REVOLUTION. 2. Graham’s NYLIRAM LETS TWIST AGAIN. 3. Buckwell’s KILLENA IN THE AIR TONIGHT.
Graduate Dog – 1
1. Gough’s JULITA RUKESTER. A very pleasing dog with handsome head of correct proportions. Clear sparking intelligent eye. Ample neck leading to well laid shoulders. Well ribbed up. Correct rear assembly with plenty of bone and muscle. Sound steady mover making a lovely picture. Excellent handling and presentation.
Post Graduate Dog – 3
1. Bennet’s HELGEN ROMEO THE LOVER. Balanced head and ear placement, kind alert expression. Correct lay of shoulders leading to substantial body, well ribbed up. Ample bone and good muscle tone. Moved out with stead precise stride. Superb condition. 2. Roland-Shrubb’s – BICHERE ESSEX SKIPPER. Another dog with much to like about him. Preferred head of 1. But he has compact body with plenty of quality bone and muscle tone. He held his topline on the move and displayed strength and co-ordination on tight feet. 3. Leach’s ISLANZA SPRINTER.
Mid Limit Dog – 6
1. Woodham’s GLYNELL JIFFY. Super head of correct proportions. Kind alert expression and correct dentition. Well placed shoulders and correct topline and tail set. He is compact with quality bone and tight feet. Sound throughout which showed in his precise movement. Well handled. 2. Wren’s LLON DERWEN DAR AT GWYNMARREN. Very close up to winner in all departments but would have liked a tad more athleticism. However he is a fine example of the breed and on another day could be my winner. Presented in immaculate coat and condition. 3. Jenkins’ CWMBEILI MORGAN.
Limit Dog – 9(2)
Mcilwaine and Reynold’s GLENBROWS VAN GOUGH FOR BENOVEOR JW. This dog is sound throughout with much to like about him. Handsome balanced head and dark expressive eyes. Excellent front, shoulders and neck. Well ribbed body leading to strong rear assembly. Sound positive movement using the ring to his advantage. Immaculate coat and condition. Expertly handled. 2. Williams’. ISFRYN SPOT THE DIFFERENCE TREBETTYN. Another who has much to like about him. Lovely balanced masculine head and soft alert expression. Ample neck leading to well laid shoulders. Plenty of substance with well sprung ribs. Strong rear assembly with pleasing tail carriage. Tight feet with immaculate presentation. Well handled. Just missed out to winner on his movement which was not quite as positive. On another day he could change places. 3. Blackford’s AMBLELIGHT GALATEA.
Open Dog 5(2)
1. Graham and Hogstrom’s DON’S STATEMENT TO NYLIRAM (IMP SWE). A stylish dog who oozed quality and charm in abundance. He presented a balanced picture of breed type combined with strength and athleticism. I loved his masculine head, nothing overdone. Compact shapely body with excellent bone and muscle tone. He moved with drive and purpose from well placed hocks on the best of feet. His presentation was faultless. Delighted to award him his second CC. His owner piloted him to Best in Show on the referee’s decision. 2. Rees’ HUDOLUS RHYS HENLLYS AT TYPICA ShCM. Handsome lad with pleasing head and dark expressive eyes. Ample neck and well laid shoulders. Firm body and excellent spring of rib. Moves soundly with drive using the ring to his advantage. Immaculate presentation and handling skills. I have judged this dog before and he always makes me smile! 3. Sutherland’s JACRANELLA SOLO.
Champion Dog 2
Ellis and Pilkington’s SH CH SHANNARA TOTAL ECLIPSE ShCM. Beautiful masculine head, nothing overdone and clear sparkling eyes. He has an excellent shape with clean neck and well laid shoulders. Plenty of substance and good spring of rib. Well angulated rear assembly. His movement was precise and driving. A joy to watch. Dog and handler make a lovely partnership. 2. Clarks’s SH CH FERNDEL HIGH FIDELITY WITH TIGERROCK ShCM ShCEx. Another quality dog who was in lovely coat and condition. I would have liked a tad more fullness in foreface. He has correct ear placement and excellent dentition. Well laid shoulders, pleasing topline and carried himself well with good strong stride.
Veteran Dog 5
1. Clarke’s JEAVART DIFFERENT STROKES BY TIGERROCK JW ShCM. This eleven year old is delightful, he has such a lovely personality. Still has a good head shape and dark sparkling eyes. Pleasing reach of neck and correct lay of shoulder. He carries himself well and is a sound positive mover enjoying his day out. I just loved him. Wish he were mine! BEST VETERAN IN SHOW. 2. Barkley’s SH CH CHERRYHEATH’S MR MISCHIEFJW ShCM. Another quality eight year old dog. Pleasing head and intelligent expression. Good reach of neck, well laid shoulders and substantial body. Strong rear assembly enabling him to drive round the ring in style on tight feet. Excellent presentation. 3. Woodham’s TOBERMYN MINSTREL BOY.
Special Beginners Dog 5(1)
1. Bennett’s HELGEN ROMEO THE LOVER (1ST in Post Graduate). 2. Gough’s JULITA RUKESTER (1ST in Graduate). 3. Roland-Shrubb’s BICHERE ESSEX SKIPPER.
Special Working Dog 3
1. Barkley’s CHERRYHEATH’S MR MOJITO. Upstanding dog with excellent head and kind alert eye. Correct in make and shape. Scores in soundness and his ability to move soundly and with drive. Firm and compact. I can see him working tirelessly for his owner in the field. 2. Green’s EURION JASPER. Pleasing in all departments, plenty of substance. A longer cast body than 1. But well off for bone and muscle tone. Sound stead movement, excellent feet. His coat shone with Condition. Superb temperament. 3. Smith’s ISFRYN PEEPING TOM JW
Special Shooting Dog 2
1. Smith’s ISFRYN PEEPING TOM JW. 2. Wright’s AMBLELIGHT SOLAR FLARE Pleasing shape of head and correct ear set. Sparkling clear eyes. Plenty of bone and muscle tone. Well laid shoulders, substantial body and correct rear angulation. Sound stead mover on tight feet.
Good Citizens Dog Scheme 6(1)
1. Bennett’s HELGEN ROMEO THE LOVER (1st in Post Graduate and Special Beginners). 2. Clarke’s JEAVART DIFFERENT STROKES BY TIGERROCK JW ShCM (1st in Veteran dog). 3. Tubb’s SLAPESTONES TIDAL WAVE FOR ALSUTU.
I would like to thank the Club for this appointment and the exhibitors for entering their dogs under me. I thoroughly enjoyed my day and felt very privileged to have so many lovely exhibits to go over.
Minor Puppy Bitch 4(1)
1. Blackford’s AMBLELIGHT PORCIA. A mature 8 month old. Pleasing head and nice expression. Good reach of neck, well laid shoulder leading to good body shape. Well angulated behind. Neat feet. Balanced on the move. 2. Blackwith’s BENOVEOR RUNAWAY BRIDE. A pretty 7 month old who was really not keen on being gone over and needs time to mature. Slightly closer coupled than 1 she has a lot to offer with a good reach of neck, sufficient angulation and moved steadily at times. 3. Naunton’s TRENZALORE ONCOMING STORM.
Puppy Bitch 3
1. Barnes’ NYLIRAM TWIST AND SHOUT WITH BARHI. What a lovely puppy. Very mature for 10 months with a lovely traditional Welsh shape. Pleasing head with soft expression. Good reach of neck into well laid shoulders. Compact, nice rise over the loin, well angulated with well let down hocks. Good feet. Moved with enthusiasm and tail ever wagging. I was pleased she was BPIS. 2. Buckwell’s KILLENA DANCE IN MONLIGHT. Not the maturity of 1 which made her appear longer cast. Nice Welsh head with a soft expression. Pleasing overall shape with good bone and angulation. Firm catlike feet. Not as confident on the move. 3. Blackwith’s BENOVEOR RUNAWAY BRIDE.
Junior Bitch 3(1)
1. Clarke & Sherlock’s CRIMICAR SHE’S ELECTRIK WITH TIGERROCK JW. Lovely compact youngster, very mature for her age. Good Welsh head with kind eye and depth of muzzle. Well laid shoulder and spring of rib, strong hind quarters and neat feet. Moved well and happily. 2. Buckwell’s KILLENA DANCE IN MOONLIGHT.
Yearling Bitch 3
1. Primmer’s AMANSHE MERMAID’S TEARS. Very attractive girl with an unusual fleabitten coat. She has a lot of maturing to do but is compact with a pleasing head, good reach of neck leading to well ribbed body with correct rise over the loin. Strong hind quarters. Moved well and happily. 2. Harrison’s GLENBROWS TEMPTRESS JW. More mature than 1 with a lovely Welsh head and kind expression. Good reach of neck leading to nice body shape with sufficient angulation and well let down hocks. Lovely feet. Not so happy and confident on the move. 3. Baldry’s LLON LLANHARRAN LLEUCI.
Maiden Bitch 1
1. Barnes’ NYLIRAM TWIST AND SHOUT WITH BARHI.
Novice Bitch 3
1. Barnes NYLIRAM TWIST AND SHOUT WITH BARHI. 2. Primmer’s AMANSHE MERMAID’S TEARS. 3. Buckwell’s KILLENA DANCE IN MOONLIGHT.
Graduate Bitch 5
1. Mcilwaine & Reynold’s BENOVEOR CAN’T BUY ME LOVE. Good head with kind expression and depth of muzzle. Length of neck to good shoulder placement and spring of rib. Perhaps a little long in body but well angulated with a nice rise over the loin. Moved well with power and drive. 2. Cooper’s ISFRYN LADY GREY OF GILSTONIA. Nice Welsh head with good earset and breadth of skull. Plenty of bone and substance and good angulation front and rear with well let down hocks. More compact than 1 but not so happy on the move, she went with power and style. 3. Ferguson’s TAIHANG SCHEREZADE AT TEASLEWOOD.
Post Graduate Bitch 5
1. Waller’s ISFRYN LADY GODIVA AT FIREGLOW. Very typical Welsh with a lovely head and expression. Good reach of neck leading to good shoulder placement and upper arm. Compact with good bone and spring of rib. Well angulated behind and with well let down hocks. Good feet. Moved freely. 2. Lancett’s CWMBEILI MADLEN. A very nice bitch and most of the remarks for 1st apply to her as well. She was heavier overall than 1 and perhaps a bit doggy for me. 3. Roland-Shrubb’s BICHERE PAINTED LADY.
Mid Limit Bitch 4
1. Jones’ JULITA RUMOURS AT TROSLEY. I have always liked this bitch and she did not disappoint when I went over her. So very typical of the breed. Lovely head with a kind eye, chiselling and depth of muzzle. Good reach of neck, lovely lay of shoulder and length of upper arm. Well ribbed and angulated with strong second thigh. Super feet. Moved well with ground covering movement. CC. RBIS & BOS.
Limit Bitch 9
1. Caldwell’s HILLPARK QUEEN BEE FOR CERYSAN. I was spoilt for choice in this class but this bitch had so much I was looking for. Lovely head and expression. Really well angulated and super muscle tone, correct rise over the loin and kept her topline on the move. Good feet and tail set. Moved with drive and so happily. 2. Harrison’s GLENBROWS VALENTINE. Slightly more heavily built than 1st but nevertheless painted a lovely picture. Typical Welsh head with good chiselling, breadth of skull and depth of muzzle. Well angulated front and rear with spring of rib and well let down hocks. Plenty of bone. A little hesitant on the move today. 3. Watson’s WELINGERHILL GARDEN TIGER OF HILLPARK.
Open Bitch 4
Sutherland’s JACRANELLA SERENADE. Both are lovely bitches, I just preferred 1 for size. Pretty head with depth of muzzle, good reach of neck and well angulated front and rear with well let down hocks. Good feet. Moved true and with enthusiasm. 2. Graham’s SH CH FERNDEL COVER STORY ABOUT NYLIRAM. It was difficult to split these two so the remarks above apply here as well. This bitch is bigger and heavier all over. However she painted a nice picture, with plenty of bone and substance and also moved well. 3. Thomas & Upton’s BOWDONIA SERAPHINA JW ShCM.
Champion Bitch 3
1. Sutherland’s SH CH JANCRANELLA SYMPHONY. Another lovely bitch, deservedly a champion. A good Welsh type with nice head and expression. Good neck and shoulders, spring of rib and rear end with strong second thigh, well let down hocks and neat feet. Moved with drive. 2. Riese-Bassel & Worth’s AM GCH SARABANDE SWEET NOTHINGS (AI) ( Re-Imp) Slightly closer coupled than 1 so not quite such a balanced picture overall. Pretty feminine head, good reach of neck leading to well laid shoulders, spring of rib and depth of brisket. Well angulated behind and moved positively. 3. Thomas’ SH CH BOWDONIA ANASTASIA JW ShCM
Veteran Bitch 10
What a lovely class of elderly ladies. Always a favourite of mine.
1. Madeley’s BARHI FLAMING STAR AT MAYTAG. Lovely all round Welsh type with plenty of bone and substance and still keeping her femininity. Pretty head, good lay of shoulder and well angulated. Nice rise over the loin which she kept on the move. I was pleased to go over this bitch and today she really showed herself off RCC. 2. Blackford’s AMBLELIGHT SUNGLOW. She was placed in a strong Limit class and held her own here. Good head with stop and deep muzzle. Well laid shoulder and upper arm. Strong body, well muscled overall with depth of second thigh. Moved true and with enthusiasm. 3. Primmer’s AMANSHE GOLDEN REVELATION.
Special Beginners Bitch 1
1. Roland-Shrubb’s BICHERE PAINTED LADY. Placed in PG and a worthy winner here. Nice compact bitch with a good head and sweet expression. Well laid shoulders and upper arm, short coupled and well angulated behind with well let down hocks and tight feet. Moved positively and with drive.
Special Working Bitch 1
1. White’s FIERGEN STEAMY WINDOWS. Placed in veteran. A workmanlike bitch with a pleasing head and expression and a deep muzzle. Adequately angulated both fore and aft and with excellent muscle. Very balanced overall when stacked, perhaps could lose a little weight. Moved well and with drive.
Special Shooting Bitch 5
1. Burchmore & Haggar’s BOWDONIA BEDAZZLED AT LENAMORE. Another workmanlike bitch who I’m sure could go all day. A good honest dog with nothing flashy to detract from her overall Welsh shape. Good head and expression. Short coupled. 2. Sutherland’s JACRANELLA SONATA. Slightly cobbier than 1 but well put together. Feminine head with good stop and depth of muzzle. Length of neck leading to good shoulders, depth of body and well angulated rear. Well let down hocks and good feet. Moved well and soundly. 3. White’s FIERGEN STEAMY WINDOWS.
Good Citizens Bitch 4
1. Watson’s WELLINGERHILL GARDEN TIGER OF HILLPARK Lovely Welsh head with kind expression. Plenty of bone and substance. Good reach of neck leading to correct lay of shoulder and upper arm. Well angulated behind, good bend of stifle and nicely let down hocks. Moved with drive. 2. Charles’ STAGARTH A KIND OF MAGIC. A bi lighter in build than 1 and not such a good topline. A fairly strong head but of good shape with a kind eye. Nicely laid shoulder and upper arm, strong body with deep brisket and good angulation behind. Moved well.
I would very much like to thank the Club for inviting me to be Referee and to judge the following classes.
1st Woodham’s Well matched pair of quality. Moved well together.
2nd Roland-Scrubb’s Also well matched but not as mature as 1st.
Special Breeders Team 2
1st Smith’s Very well matched team of Welsh Springers by colour and type.
2nd Primmer ‘s
I chose the dog CC winner Don"s Statement to Nyliram as he was the complete mature picture.
Sound, fit and showed well.
The bitch CC winner was also a fine typical Welsh . She, in my opinion still needs to mature and
spring her ribs.